Friday 1 March 2013

Cotswold Proddy

Cotswold Rug 27” x 26” designed, made and owned by Jan Haines.  The rug was made in the summer of 2006 in the county of Kent in the South East of England.
During a visit to the Cotswolds for our summer holiday, we called in at the Cotswold Woollen Weavers at Filkins, Gloucestershire.  Whilst looking around at the machines and looms etc., I came upon a large bin on wheels that was full of small offcuts of the woollen fabrics, there were bags nearby which you could use to fill with the offcuts and I paid around a £1.00 a bag.  Needless to say I collected quite a few of these bags, bought them home and proceeded to make my rug.  Once I had sorted them out I realised that there was only two colourways in the pieces, hence the design was born.  A sort of cross through the middle with the lighter colour and the darker around the edge.  There was no rhyme or reason really, just prod them in and make a mat.  It has been in constant use since it was made and is the first thing you step on when you enter my home.  It wears well and a good shake every now and then keeps it looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment